Forumotion Economics explained!!
Posted January 28th 2012, 6:06am
Being a moderator of vBulletin for over three years I always compare the two products namely vB & the PHPBB. With the advent of Diondesigns & AvacWeb the difference is immensely closing up. However, I have seen that a separate server is needed for the inevitable LIMITS of FM.
I have roughly calculated the money requirements (on annual basis) for the FM system to be individualized:

Ads removal (all members): 2000 points
Copyright removal: 1000 points
Personal Domain: 1600 points
Total points: 4600
++ I haven't included the costs of purchasing a separate server for the features like 'thanking & rating' system

to achieve those points you need to buy 5000 points @ ~50 USD.
Hey I haven't included attachments yet :twisted:

Now my questions to Dion ( who happen to have a Stat degree as well)
1] How much it costs for a separate server to only run thanking & rating system? ( this amount will be added to 50 USD)

2] Provided that I have seen sites like iPage & FatCow hosters that provide excellent service for ~3.75 USD/month = 45USD annually, are we stupid to follow FM's mantra??

I know that regular rates are different from initial rates...but this is only a sales stunt:
http://www.ipage.com/web-hosting (initial)
http://www.ipage.com/knowledgebase/beta/article.bml?ArticleID=1761 (regular)

Almost always their occurs a coupon/promotion scheme (as I have been told @webhostingtalk)

In conclusion I believe that a separate server to run/maintain & monetize forums is a great thing plus deep down changes in template editing as compared to js improvements are way better & don't take a toll at page loading time. I want gurus here to reflect upon my judgement.
φ
Likes Given: 34
Posted January 28th 2012, 9:47am
A free forum host is really for people who wish to staart a quick forum, or for people who don't know what they are doing in terms of running a forum hosted on a proper server.

If you have no prior knowledge a number of things can be daunting when hosting a forum properly.
- FTP software
- Admin panel which uses all the 'technical' terms.
- Editing PHP templates
- Maybe the possibility of SQL or database handling.

So really what I'm saying is, what is 'better' really depends on your level of knowledge or circumstances.

In terms of price, Ipage is great, infact its the exact host that my thanks system and other 'external' features are hosted with.

While Forumotion provides the easy approach, ultimately i'd say a hosted forum is likely cheaper if you was to buy all the 'upgrades' of forumotion.
φ
Likes Given: 15
Posted January 28th 2012, 10:11am
LGforum said:
While Forumotion provides the easy approach, ultimately i'd say a hosted forum is likely cheaper if you was to buy all the 'upgrades' of forumotion.

when I started blogging & foruming everything was new & daunting but as you tread along you find some online friends ( :lol: ) that do make your life a hell easier. I have seen one-click install feature in all hosters plus the phpbb official forum is filled in with plugins with instructions...only this may is tough:
LGforum said:
Maybe the possibility of SQL or database handling.
Maybe the possibility of SQL or database handling.
but I believe in running a forum this is the least technical part we interfere into...mostly such is handle by hosters themselves
φ
Posted January 28th 2012, 1:54pm
I hope you realize that to have an external like/thanks system, you will need to set up the database yourself (using something like phpMyAdmin), and write a PHP script that uses MySQLi to access the database!

The numbers you quoted for ad removal only apply to smaller boards. I know of a fairly large board on forumotion where it would cost 11,800 points to remove ads for a year!

If one decides to purchase ad removal, here's my suggestion to everyone who can read this. If you're beyond the base 2000 points/year, it's time to consider moving your board to paid hosting. If you're still at the base 2000 points/year, remove the ads for a full year. Ten months later, look at what it would cost to remove ads again. If it has increased beyond the base 2000 points/year, then start working on moving your board to paid hosting. eToxic has made it more difficult to do so, but it's never going to be impossible. I recently helped to move one of the largest boards on forumotion to paid hosting, and with a coordinated plan of attack (20+ people simultaneouly running scripts :) ), it only took a few hours to complete.
φ
Likes Given: 26
Posted January 28th 2012, 2:13pm
Dion said:
I hope you realize that to have an external like/thanks system, you will need to set up the database yourself (using something like phpMyAdmin), and write a PHP script that uses MySQLi to access the database!

have seen a trusted php addon for thnx system at their official forum...
Dion said:
I recently helped to move one of the largest boards on forumotion to paid hosting, and with a coordinated plan of attack (20+ people simultaneously running scripts Smile ), it only took a few hours to complete.

I once saw a converter again at official php forums that does that ...but they say it breaked after (if I recall correctly) 10 members
Dion said:
it's time to consider moving your board to paid hosting.

Tell me Dion of the normal money requirements (in general) to host a proper board per year

Do tell me of that largest board
φ