Who likes/dislikes your posts?
Posted January 30th 2012, 3:10pm
I am sure that you have seen this tutorial for a like/dislike bar that uses the old, disgusting reputation system by ForuMotion, and changes it into a beautiful like/dislike bar! This is an absolutely wonderful system, but I would like to take it a step further, and ask if a way exsists to unlike or undislike a post. I would also like to ask if there is a way to see who likes/dislikes your post. If this is already possible, please tell me how so. If it is not possible, please tell me how I may do this. I do not know my JavaScript (or any other language, for that matter) very well.

Plesae tell me how I may go about doing this.

Thanks in advance for your help!

[align=right]~ David B[/align]
φ
Likes Given: 27
Posted January 30th 2012, 3:23pm
What you ask is not possible on a forumotion board unless you have the like/dislike database on an external host. That is what I have here for my like feature, and what LGforum has on Avacweb for his thanks feature.

If you have access to an external host that gives you PHP/SQL access, you can create such a database, and write a PHP script that acts as the interface between your board and the database. You will need a moderate-to-advanced knowledge of javascript to create and manage the like/dislike system on your board, and enough knowledge of PHP and MySQLi to write the interface PHP script.

Based on what you say about your knowledge level, for now such a system is out of your league unless you pay someone to write it for you. But continue your learning, and I'm sure you will be able to do this soon!
φ
Likes Given: 26
Posted January 30th 2012, 3:54pm
I wrote a simple like system using Perl and SQLite some time ago. It's a rather simple application. I'm sure you can do it, possibly even for free.
φ
Likes Given: 3
Posted January 30th 2012, 9:46pm
Saxaca said:
It's a rather simple application.

Yes, it is...for you and me. But tell that to someone who has never written a line of PHP code and has never used an SQL application!

And as I somewhat-mentioned above, for this feature the server-side application is much simpler to write than the client-side scripting.
φ
Likes Given: 26
Posted January 31st 2012, 2:49pm
Is there a way to achieve at least one of these goals? I do not have access to an external server, and I find it hard to believe that ForuMotion does not store in some location a list of who has liked/disliked a post.

I have always assumed that that was what you were doing.
φ
Posted January 31st 2012, 3:28pm
You can easily get pretty-decent free hosting. Write your app in NodeJS or Ruby and upload it to Heroku, for example?
φ
Likes Given: 3
Posted February 10th 2012, 6:47pm
If a PHP script is involved, I do have a HelioHost account. (www.heliohost.org)
φ