How would I get a board like this?
Posted May 11th 2012, 5:03am
It's just perfection! Do we need to find a phpbb software and download it? What do we host it on? How is it active!?
φ
Likes Given: 20
Posted May 11th 2012, 11:23am
First of all, you need web hosting, either free or paid where you can gain FTP access and have freedom of which files are added on the server.

With that, its a matter of downloading the Phpbb files from phpbb.com, and uploading them to your server. Phpbb provides a nice and easy installation process to follow once its uploaded. ;)
φ
Likes Given: 15
Posted May 11th 2012, 12:24pm
You can get the latest version of phpBB3 here:

http://www.phpbb.com/downloads/olympus.php?from=submenu

But as LGforum said, you will need hosting. There are many free hosts around, and for the most part you get what you pay for. ;) However, they do serve a purpose...they will allow you to learn how to create and manage a website without having to pay for the site while you're learning. I've seen far too many people get their own shared-hosting site and have NO IDEA how to manage it. The phpBB and Wordpress support forums are littered with stupid questions from such people. Please don't be one of them!

So my suggestion is to sign up for a free hosting plan, and learn how to manage the site. You can even download and install phpBB3, Wordpress, and phpMyAdmin (the latter two may not work on some free hosting sites due to their memory requirements). Once you feel comfortable with managing the site, you can sign up for a shared hosting plan -- many are available for under US$5/month -- and move your files/databases to the new site. NOTE: I suggest that you NOT transfer a domain name to the free hosting site...many are like eToxic where you may be forced to wait months to transfer it to a new site.

I hope this answers your questions.
φ
Likes Given: 26
Posted May 11th 2012, 1:45pm
what host are you using dion ?
φ
Likes Given: 8
Posted May 11th 2012, 2:10pm
If I were you, I'd set up a LAMP server on my own computer and install phpBB there, way better than free hosting!
φ
Likes Given: 3
Posted May 11th 2012, 3:50pm
Zero said:
what host are you using dion ?

I have been using Yahoo Business Hosting for the past three years. Its uptime record has been incredible, far better than other hosting solutions in its price range, and it has unlimited storage/database/bandwidth. However, I can no longer tolerate the database performance issues and some of the sleazy things they do in the background.

I will soon be moving to an EC2 Cloud VPS on Amazon. It's a do-it-yourself root SSH box, so it's not a solution I would recommend to folks here...except Bilde, who is lost without the *nix command prompt. :P
φ
Likes Given: 26
Posted May 22nd 2012, 11:42am
I wouldn't recommend shared hosting for forums it's a nightmare the small amount of traffic and it goes slow... i would stick with a free forum till it get big enough go to a VPS hosting but it cost a lot of money & if you not making money or you don't have a lot of money you better just sticking with the free forum.
φ