download all attachments of a topic like 3.1xx
Posted January 16th 2014, 11:58am
Hello,

I want to ask if it would be possible to embed the 3.1 function dowload all attachments of a topic to a 3.0.12 phpBB board, I tried it on my demoboard, but I could get it work..
Congrats for your site a really good design and much good informative stuff, great project :)

Cheers :)
φ
Posted January 16th 2014, 12:56pm
I'm sure it's possible, and I'm also sure someone will backport it to 3.0.

But not me. This is IMO a feature which hasn't been well thought out -- actually it has, but the target market of the design represents a tiny fraction of those using phpBB 3.0. Most of the phpBB 3.0 boards I've seen use attachments almost exclusively for images. It's important the images are displayed in a specific order since most people aren't going to take the time to manually place them inline. This doesn't seem to be possible, and from what I've seen, it's also not possible to disable multiple uploads from the ACP. As implemented today, this feature will result in a lot of angry users on boards whose owners "upgraded" to 3.1.

What would be a fantastic addition to phpBB3 would be an "Upload Image" editor button. When clicked, a window would be opened to allow the user to select and upload a file. After the file is uploaded, the correct inline attachment BBcode would be added at the current cursor position. If the opened window is an IFrame or actual window, there is no need for HTML5 since it would work exactly like the windows that open to select users on the memberlist pages.
φ
Likes Given: 26
Posted January 21st 2014, 6:58pm
Dion said:

What would be a fantastic addition to phpBB3 would be an "Upload Image" editor button. When clicked, a window would be opened to allow the user to select and upload a file. After the file is uploaded, the correct inline attachment BBcode would be added at the current cursor position. If the opened window is an IFrame or actual window, there is no need for HTML5 since it would work exactly like the windows that open to select users on the memberlist pages.

I wonder why the devs have not been thinking about that? Also if phpBB 3.1 is the last version ever, will the site close down in a few years or will the public force the support team to support 3.0.x?
φ
Likes Given: 60
Posted July 15th 2014, 8:47pm
Daniel said:
Also if phpBB 3.1 is the last version ever, will the site close down in a few years or will the public force the support team to support 3.0.x?

Who said that phpBB 3.1 is going to be the last version ever? phpBB 3.1 is the next version, but nobody said it was the final version. Even if it was the final version, how would we be able to know whether or not the public will force the support team to support the 3.0 release series?
φ
Likes Given: 27
Posted July 19th 2014, 7:06pm
phpBB 3.1 will be the last version ever if 3.2 isn't released within a year of 3.1. The backlash due to retaining the (outdated) Prosilver theme, a huge memory/CPU hit, and a double-whammy problem with extensions, will put a lot of pressure on getting 3.2 out quickly. If it can't be delivered, people will have already moved on to other products. The double-whammy extension problem is the lack of extensions, coupled with a difficult installation process (much more difficult than AutoMOD).

phpBB 3.0.x should be kept an active product until sometime after 3.2 is released. In that way, if people don't like 3.1, they can use 3.0.x with the assurance it won't be discontinued until after 3.1 is fixed. If phpBB 3.0.x is discontinued too soon, people will move to other products, and customers will be permanently lost.

I expect phpBB 3.0.x to be discontinued a few months after 3.1 is released. Hence my above prediction. If there is more than a few months between 3.0.x being discontinued and 3.2 being released, the customer base will be reduced to the point where it won't make sense to spend time on getting 3.2 out the door.
φ
Likes Given: 26