How can we use the same search function from phpbb.com ?
Posted August 26th 2015, 5:12am
Hi again, is there any way we can use a mod to enable the same search function as phpbb.com has ? Thank you!.
φ
Likes Given: 4
Posted August 26th 2015, 5:59pm
I believe there is a MOD available for the Sphinx search engine which is used on phpbb.com. It requires that Sphinx is installed on your server.
φ
Likes Given: 26
Posted September 16th 2015, 7:56am
Can I install Sphinx on a shared host ? If not, is there another way I can use a search function similar to the one from phpbb.com ? Thank you.
φ
Posted September 16th 2015, 9:44am
If you have shared hosting, your only phpBB-based search choices are the two built into phpBB.
φ
Posted October 4th 2015, 2:41pm
Thank you for reply. Is there a way I can change the search from phpbb with google search in header ? I only succeed to include google search in advanced search, not in header. The css is a mess and the layout is broke when I include the search widget from google in my website header. Any suggestion ? Thank you.
φ
Posted October 6th 2015, 3:43pm
Customizing the Google search widget is something you will have to do on your own. However, I agree it is a much better solution than trying to add a new internal search engine.

Actually...it is a better solution than using the internal phpBB search facilities. The internal search system creates the largest tables in the database, and searching is typically the biggest resource requirement (CPU and database) of a phpBB board.
φ
Posted October 7th 2015, 4:29pm
Thank you for your advice. I added google search in header but the problem is that the widget is loading every time when I open a new page or I refresh the page. Is there a way I can make it to load faster or to use lazy load for this ? And how?! Thank you!.
φ