SEO Friendly URLs
Posted August 8th 2017, 5:30pm
I've noticed that this forum has SEO Friendly urls. (For those of you who see this and do not know what I am talking about, take a look at the URL for this post. It does not have the standard viewtopic.php?f=XXXX&t=XXXX URL that phpBB normally uses.) How could I achieve this on my forum running phpBB 3.2?
φ
Likes Given: 27
SEO Friendly URLs
Posted August 8th 2017, 5:44pm
It will be a lot of work, but this should help you get started:

https://github.com/phpBBSEO/usu
φ
Likes Given: 26
SEO Friendly URLs
Posted August 8th 2017, 6:29pm
Is this how you did it? Or did you poke around in the phpBB source to get it done? The problem with me working with extensions is that I do not actually understand how phpBB extensions work. They seem unnecessarily complicated and inefficient compared to the old phpBB MOD system. If it weren't for the fact that there are some features in phpBB 3.2 that I want, I would actually have a strong preference for phpBB 3.0 and its MOD system. I've tried reading through the little documentation that I could find on how extensions work, but they still do not make as much sense to me as MODs did.
φ
SEO Friendly URLs
Posted August 8th 2017, 8:56pm
phpBb 3.1+ extensions are needlessly complicated and inefficient. That's what happens when one rewrites an application using a bloated framework. ;)

What features in phpBB 3.2 do you want that aren't in 3.0? The only one that is reasonably useful is the notification system, but it has serious database/server issues when there are a lot of stored notifications.
φ
SEO Friendly URLs
Posted August 8th 2017, 9:35pm
Dion said:
What features in phpBB 3.2 do you want that aren't in 3.0? The only one that is reasonably useful is the notification system, but it has serious database/server issues when there are a lot of stored notifications.

Well notifications is one of them, but I also want the new soft delete functionality, and since my custom theme is based off of prosilver, I like that the new prosilver version is responsive. It still looks like crap, but at least I don't have to spend the time making my prosilver-based theme responsive on my own. All I have to do is de-uglyfy it. I also like the phpBB 3.2 is more AJAX-y than 3.0. I have no experience with using AJAX, so I prefer my forum software to be pre-AJAX-ed.
φ
SEO Friendly URLs
Posted August 12th 2017, 10:31am
Is there such a thing as decent documentation for the phpBB source code, or must I continue to guess my way through it as best as I can? I would look into modifying the source directly to customize the URL style, and I have, but I cannot figure out where to begin.
φ
SEO Friendly URLs
Posted August 13th 2017, 4:32pm
The phpBB source code is what it is. At one time is was well-documented, but as it incorporated more and more framework bloat, the code is becoming increasingly difficult for non-developers to understand. That has resulted in significantly fewer people writing extensions.

Anyway...in your case, I'd suggest taking a look at the viewtopic.php and viewforum.php scripts. You'll want to determine how template variables such as U_VIEWFORUM, U_VIEWTOPIC, and all their variants are created, and then edit that code accordingly.
φ