Increase in memory usage when site stayed the same?
Posted January 16th 2018, 10:37am
Hi,

I am just wondering if you know in what scenario would a memory usage number increase almost 2x (from ~30mb to ~55mb average) in the span of a few days? My site has not changed at all since then but when I logged in yesterday I saw the memory usage was higher than when I first installed usageDD.

Thanks,
Jason
φ
Posted January 16th 2018, 10:54am
Thanks for posting your question here!

If the memory usage increase seems to go away and then occasionally re-appear, it is probably being caused by the WP-CRON system running its tasks. You can install a plugin like WP Crontrol to view and manage WP-CRON tasks.

If the increase is constant, then you should contact your hosting company. It's possible they made a change in your hosting plan without telling you. If you have a VPS or dedicated server, take a look at its update changelog. It's possible your server did an update that caused the increase.

Also keep in mind that some plugins will update automatically in the background, so you might want to take a look at the plugin files using FTP. If you see any plugin files with recent last-modified timestamps, then that plugin updated itself without your knowledge. (I personally would deactivate and delete a plugin that did such a thing.)
φ
Likes Given: 26
Posted January 16th 2018, 5:41pm
Hi,

Thanks for the quick response! The WP-CRON is disabled, and it doesn't seem like there are any plugins being updated automatically.

Is there anything else you can think of? We run caching programs and run the host on cloudways (managed wordpress) .. could anyone those be affecting it?

Also, is there a way we can ask our hosting to check on this? I am not 100% technical when it comes to server, so do you now of a way to ask them in order to diagnose the issue?

Thanks alot for your help!
Jason
φ
Posted January 16th 2018, 7:09pm
Managed WordPress hosting has pluses and minuses. One of its minuses is that server changes are often made in the background without informing customers, and those changes will affect everyone (hopefully in a positive way!).

I think you should contact your host and tell them exactly what you have posted here...that memory usage almost doubled with no changes being made to your WordPress installation. Please let me know what they tell you in response!
φ
Likes Given: 26