Board Status
Posted December 21st 2010, 1:04am
IMPORTANT NOTE: Posts #1 - #8 refer to the board I created on the forumotion service, owned by eToxic.

December 21st, 2010:

The board was opened to the public, and registration was enabled. I will be happy to answer questions about the DionFM™ design. And to all: this is an Invision board on forumotion. I know it looks nothing like any other forumotion board, and that's the point of this forum...to show what's possible when you think outside the box and know a few things about javascript!

There are a number of pages which require work.

The DionFM™ design will be added to the watched topics, calender scheduler, moderator control panel, and merge pages. The edit/newtopic/postreply page will be enhanced with a new smiley box, a color picker, and a new button layout. The profile pages will be re-designed.

The post profiles do not display properly with IE8. This will be fixed, but adding the above enhancements is a higher priority. All other pages display properly with IE8.

There is still a slight glitch with the forum display. Every once in a while, a page will display with the wrong formatting. Reloading the page will always fix the display.

Eventually I will change the post display from being a vBulletin clone, to the DionFM™ post display I am developing. But for now, I want to keep this look. Too many people have said it was impossible on a forumotion forum! :D
φ
Likes Given: 26
Board Status
Posted December 28th 2010, 1:35am
December 28, 2010:

The combination of the holidays and my delay in writing several javascript examples/tutorials, has convinced me to keep this site under wraps for just a little longer. Registration is opened, however, for those who find this site by accident. Once I get the examples written, though, look out!

The Javascript 101 forum will remain closed to guests for the time being. I will open the forum to guests once the forum gets some activity from members.

The watched topics, calender scheduler, moderator control panel, and merge pages all now have the DionFM™ design. The new smiley box has been added to the edit/newtopic/postreply page. On the surface the new smiley box looks just like the old one, but the code is completely different. For one thing, it inserts smileys in the correct location! :D

Most of the buttons on the edit/newtopic/postreply page now work like the DionFM™ Quick Reply buttons, meaning they insert BBCodes in the correct locations! In addition, the color picker from the DionFM™ Quick Reply box has been added. I still need to make the buttons in the "Other" box work like the rest of the buttons, but this is a lower priority.

The button layout is the next priority, and afterwards, the profile pages will be re-designed.

The post profiles in IE8 are still messed up, but the intermittent forum display glitches have all but disappeared. Due to newly-introduced bugs courtesy of forumotion, I was forced to make a change to the edit/newtopic/postreply page that causes the smiley box to load more slowly. I apologize for this slight inconvenience.
φ
Board Status
Posted January 2nd 2011, 12:36pm
January 2nd, 2011:

Despite it being a lot of work, I decided to fix the IE8 bug in the post profiles. I felt it was more important to have a fully-functional board for all browsers, than adding additional features. I found another problem with IE8, this time caused by a bug in a forumotion script, and it is keeping the DionFM™ topics display from working. I will do whatever I can to work around this bug.

I still have two tutorials to write for the Javascript 101 forum. The first will change the forum display on phpBB3 and IPB2/Invision boards as described HERE for phpBB2 and PunBB boards. And the second tutorial? A theme/CSS changer that doesn't force you to host files on an external site!

Once those tutorials are added to the Javascript 101 forum, I will start telling people about this site, and will open the Javascript 101 forum to guests.
φ
Board Status
Posted May 29th 2011, 1:42am
May 28, 2011:

I shut down IPBDion™ on February 12th. It became very clear that forumotion was not yet ready for a board that dealt with TRUE coding/UI design. It may never be ready. But I'm going to give it one last shot.

Parts of the original design of this board were to make the point that vBulletin-like features can be added to ANY forumotion board. I never really liked the vBulletin post design, though, and I always wanted to do something more unique -- much like the DionFM™ design on the homepage and topics pages.

And so I did...welcome to the DionFM™ post display! You can have the post profile in the three most popular locations by clicking the Image button at the top of this page. No other board on forumotion or elsewhere gives you this ability. But the best part is the addition of the DD-Edit™ editor, the most advanced board text editor you'll find anywhere!

And you've already seen the DionFM™ homepage, which has a design that is unique and unlike anything seen on another forumotion (or any other type of) board.

This board will go "live" in the near future, once I finish adding some other features not seen on any other forumotion board. I hope you like what you see!
φ
Board Status
Posted September 13th 2011, 12:48am
September 13, 2011:

I have completed the first major update to the Dion Designs board. Most of the changes were in the background to improve performance and eliminate bugs. However, there are three new features.

The first is that the crappy forumotion editor is no longer crappy. It now has the same integrated preview as DD-Edit, and many editor bugs have been eliminated.

The second is a totally-redesigned memberlist. It is unlike any memberlist you have ever seen on a discussion board. Each member is displayed as a "block", and clicking on that "block" will display the COMPLETE profile inforation of that member.

And finally, there is a re-designed chatbox. It is much faster and more responsive than the crappy forumotion chatbox, and it is now completely integrated into the board structure. Want to select a color? You get the color-picker from the editors. Want to select a smiley? You get the smiley box from the editors. There will be a second and more significant update to the chatbox in the near future. Watch for it, because like the homepage, memberlist, topics pages, and post pages on this Dion Designs board, it will be unlike any chatbox you have ever seen.
φ
Board Status
Posted November 18th 2011, 1:57pm
November 18, 2011:

It would appear that we are in the process of an "update" to the board software. I have fixed the immediate problems with posting replies using either editor, but there are many other problems still remaining.

I am trying to avoid fixing things until this "update" is complete. If you notice a display problem, don't worry about it. If you notice a problem with the functionality of the board, please report it using the Contact link at the bottom right of any page. Thank you for your patience.
φ
Board Status
Posted December 21st 2011, 9:44pm
December 21st, 2011:

The long-anticipated update to the Dion Designs board has begun. The Likes feature added last week was the first of many new features that will be on this board and nowhere else on forumotion. A second was added today -- on any DionFM™ display of topics (such as the topic displays on the homepage), hovering your mouse on a username will display that user's avatar. Watch for several new features in the upcoming weeks, including a new homepage and a HUGE upgrade to the chatbox!
φ
Board Status
Posted March 5th 2012, 2:30pm
March 5th, 2012:

I have ended my participation on forumotion. This has been on my mind since last fall, but recent issues with the stealing of my work have made it clear that I do not belong on a site that condones stealing.

I have transferred the entire forumotion board post/member database to this board, though most of the topics will reside in archive format (read-only) available only to members. In addition, I have decided to force new registrations to use non-disposable email addresses. This should help to keep spammers away, along with certain people from forumotion who might try to register for the sole purpose of disrupting this board.

Last week I began the task of setting up this phpBB3 board with the theme and board structure of my forumotion board. This has been an interesting task, because duplicating the DionFM™ theme on a stock phpBB3 board requires a number of hacks to the core PHP files.

I also must fix the compatibility issues created by moving the database from forumotion to here. Most are simple though time-consuming, such as making smilies in old posts appear as images, and fixing links in old posts to point to this board. Others are more difficult, such as getting certain forumotion-specific BBcodes used in posts to work here.

I plan to show this board to selected people in the next few days, have a limited beta test period, and open the board to the public in late March.
φ
Board Status
Posted March 7th 2012, 6:41pm
March 7, 2012:

Later today I will be sending out a PM on the old board to a few members, inviting them to test out this board.

The index/home page, and topics/posts pages, are complete. The search pages are almost complete. The PM area is my next major task, and after that I will start work on what I believe is the most difficult page to convert, the memberlist. The last task will be the public profiles, which should be easier than the memberlist but still not a simple task.

I have installed a likes system on this board and have imported the likes database I used on the old board. While I have not yet added any features to it, the likes system here is vastly superior to anything possible on forumotion because it is integrated into the board database.

Please log in to view this content.
φ
Board Status
Posted March 16th 2012, 2:06pm
March 16, 2012:

I have opened the board to guests and bots, and will enable new member registration in the next 48 hours. Guests will have access to a subset of available forums, though I have not made a final decision about which forums will be member-only.
φ
Board Status
Posted March 17th 2012, 2:48am
March 17, 2012:

I have opened the board to new user registrations. To potential new users, please keep in mind this quote from the March 5th entry:

In addition, I have decided to force new registrations to use non-disposable email addresses. This should help to keep spammers away, along with certain people from forumotion who might try to register for the sole purpose of disrupting this board.
φ
Board Status
Posted March 30th 2012, 3:54pm
March 30, 2012:

Today, one of the worst thieves/rippers on forumotion joined this board. His name is Sam Hameed. He is the admin of http://www.my-as7ab.com and his board (and thievery) is being protected by an employee of eToxic (Amir/Godfather). The fact that http://www.my-as7ab.com is still in existence speaks volumes to the hypocrisy of eToxic, the forumotion/forumactif products, and by extension their support staffs. The ripping/thievery from boards that are being protected by eToxic employees is the primary reason I am no longer on forumotion.

In the past two weeks, I have deleted several accounts that were created by known code thieves on forumotion/forumactif. However, starting with this thief, I am taking a different approach. Any person joining this board who I believe is a ripper/thief will have their password changed, and their username changed to something more appropriate. In addition, as above, I will post their names in boldface, and request that every FM board admin reading this post look in their membership for that person, and delete/deactivate their account.

Since there are ESF staff members here, I ask of you one final time: please ask Amir/Godfather why boards such as http://www.my-as7ab.com are allowed to exist even though they have been reported countless times in the past 18 months. Thank you.

On a more positive note, the Private Message area has been completed. My focus will now turn to the memberlist, the area which I feel will be the most difficult to convert to the look of the old board.
φ
Board Status
Posted April 27th 2012, 2:58am
April 27th, 2012:

I found this interesting site in a Google search: http://code.google.com/p/forumotion/w/list

At least they're equal-opportunity...code from all over forumotion is on that site.

I decided it was poor form to have empty posts here, even though they were intentionally caused by eToxic's efforts to stop board scraping. So I wrote my own Python script to grab only the post information for the empty posts on this board, and I imported the resulting file here. All posts from the old board are now on this board.

I have added several new features here. There is now a contact form that both members and guests can use to contact me directly. But more importantly, most board functions which needlessly took you to multiple pages are now accessed via AJAX. You will notice this if you vote in a poll, fill out the contact form, or select the Mark Topics/Posts Read or Delete Board Cookies links from the Page Options menu. In addition, you can press the Esc key if you want to clear the "lightbox" display at any time.
φ
Board Status
Posted April 30th 2012, 2:02pm
April 30, 2012:

The popup window for new PM notifications has been eliminated! New PM notifications will now be seen in a lightbox. This is the way PM notifications should have been done in phpBB3 years ago. The days of conflicts with popup-blockers are over...at least here.
φ
Board Status
Posted May 3rd 2012, 11:24pm
May 4th, 2012:

The default (and crappy) phpBB3 friend system has been replaced. It is hard for me to believe that something so poorly designed has been allowed to remain in the product. Allowing a member to select a friend without the new "friend" knowing about it is ridiculous!

The new friend system offers significant improvements over the old system. It is roughly 70% complete, but I wanted to install it here to get feedback. At this moment it is similar in looks to the friend system on forumotion, but I have barely put any work into the user interface. If a member receives a friend request, they will see a new item on the menu bar just to the left of the "Page Options" menu item. The new menu item will go away once all pending friend requests have been accepted or denied. In addition, when you hover over the new menu item, the names of the members requesting you as a friend will be displayed in a tooltip.

This is the first of three new features which will be added to this board in the upcoming weeks. Watch for the next feature in roughly two weeks.
φ
Board Status
Posted May 8th 2012, 1:54am
May 8th, 2012:

The second of three features has arrived early. When you click on a username, you are now taken to a new profile page, one that for now looks similar to the "Advanced Profiles" on IPB2 boards. Most importantly, this board now has a "Wall" feature where members can write public comments to other members.

The "Wall" feature is not yet complete, but I wanted to install it to get peoples' opinions. Please note that at the present time, if you make a post to someone's Wall, you will not be able to edit or delete it. I have not decided whether to allow editing, so please speak up if you have an opinion about this.

In the future there will be two new options in the User Control Panel that will allow the member to control who can see their Wall, and to lock/unlock their Wall to new comments. In addition, in the future members will be able to delete any post they made to another members' Wall, and a member will be able to delete any post made to their Wall.
φ
Board Status
Posted May 15th 2012, 9:24pm
May 15, 2012:

The third, and BY FAR the most ambitious, new feature is almost ready for testing. It is something I have been working on for the past several months, and to my knowledge there is nothing quite like it available for a phpBB3 board. If all goes well, it will be unveiled here within the next two weeks.

I will be contacting selected individuals to participate in the testing, so please do not request to be included as it will be by invitation only.
φ
Board Status
Posted May 17th 2012, 10:36pm
The User Controls and Page Options menus now work by clicking on them as opposed to hovering over them. I have noticed some problems with the hover action, and those problems would be getting much worse when some new features are added here.

I apologize for not providing any notice of the change, but it was something which had to be done ASAP.
φ
Board Status
Posted May 24th 2012, 10:01pm
The third new feature has been installed. There are new buttons in the header. Check them out. :D

For those members who might be interested in having their own blog, you will need to send a draft of your proposed first article to me via private message. If your article is approved, your blog will be created.
φ
Board Status
Posted June 8th 2012, 3:13am
From March 7th:
The PM area is my next major task, and after that I will start work on what I believe is the most difficult page to convert, the memberlist.

The memberlist has finally been completed.

Another project has consumed almost all my time in the past several weeks, and that project is coming to a close tomorrow. Once I finish some tweaking and cleanup on this board, I plan to write several new articles for my blog.

As you might notice above, I have added the ability to put anything you want in the cite area of a quote. This will be documented in the near future for all to use.
φ