Wiki Needs You
Posted November 24th 2011, 8:39pm
I become extremely humble when I fist saw this & because Wiki to me ...well I can't describe it in words so I posted it here, for those people who may not know it. I do ask Administration to levave the thread open...

I feel like I’m living the first line of my obituary.

I don’t think there will be anything else that I do in my life as important as what I do now for Wikipedia. We’re not just building an encyclopedia, we’re working to make people free. When we have access to free knowledge, we are better people. We understand the world is bigger than us, and we become infected with tolerance and understanding.

Wikipedia is the 5th most visited website in the world. I work at the small non-profit that keeps it on the web. We don’t run ads because doing so would sacrifice our independence. The site is not and should never be a propaganda tool.

Our work is possible because of donations from our readers. Will you help protect Wikipedia by donating $5, €10, ¥1000 or whatever you can afford?

I work at the Wikimedia Foundation because everything in my soul tells me it’s the right thing to do. I’ve worked at huge tech companies, doing some job to build some crappy thing that’s designed to steal money from some kid who doesn’t know it. I would come home from work crushed.

You might not know this, but the Wikimedia Foundation operates with a very small staff. Most other top-ten sites have tens of thousands of people and massive budgets. But they produce a fraction of what we pull off with sticks and wire.

When you give to Wikipedia, you’re supporting free knowledge around the world. You’re not only leaving a legacy for your children and for their children, you’re elevating people around the world who have access to this treasure. You’re assuring that one day everyone else will too.

Thank you,

Brandon Harris
Programmer, Wikimedia Foundation

Source
φ
Likes Given: 34
Wiki Needs You
Posted November 24th 2011, 8:51pm
Huh? What's this have to do with coding?
φ
Wiki Needs You
Posted November 24th 2011, 9:37pm
This topic is in the General Topics forum, where non-coding topics can be discussed.

And there is no need to worry about this topic being locked. I don't believe in locking topics, and it pained me to lock two topics in the Javascript 101 forum due to the number of "I want code, I want it my way, and I want it NOW" posts the topics were getting. (Most of those posts were immediately deleted.)
φ
Likes Given: 26
Wiki Needs You
Posted November 24th 2011, 10:31pm
Thnx Dion,
φ
Likes Given: 34
Wiki Needs You
Posted November 29th 2011, 2:32pm
Those words are very touching. However, I don't like that WikiPedia has such lose editing systems. I failed a report once because of inaccurate information that I collected from WikiPedia. I never forgave them, and to this day, I refuse to use WikiPedia for ANYTHING. (Except for finding the resources used to write an article.)
φ
Likes Given: 27