Move your forumotion board to your own site? Here is how...
Posted June 28th 2012, 1:36pm
You have no doubt heard from the not-so-good folks at eToxic, and more than a few members and staff on the English Support Forum, that it's impossible to move your forumotion board elsewhere.

I'm here to tell you, it's a lie. ;)

For more than four years, there has been a set of Python scripts on the phpBB Community support forum that allowed you to "scrape" your forumotion board of all topic/forum/post/member information, and import that information to a phpBB3 database on your own host. Here is a direct link to the ZIP file containing these scripts:

http://www.phpbb.com/community/download ... ?id=139170

In the past 18 months, eToxic has apparently grown tired of so many people leaving their service, and they have spent all their development time trying to change the forumotion service so these scripts would no longer work. (This is why there have been no new features in the past 18 months.) Unfortunately, their latest "updates" were quite effective in breaking the main script.

But no more!

The attached fm_scrape.zip file (available to members) includes replacement scripts which are not affected by ANY of the recent changes made by eToxic.
Please log in to view this content.

Here's what you do. First, download and un-ZIP the file from phpbb.com into its own directory. Next, un-ZIP the attached fm_scrape.zip file into the SAME directory. It will overwrite two files, so make sure to allow that.

Once you have scraped your FM board and set up your new board with the scraped data, you will need to run the pm_passwords.py script to send your members their new passwords. BEFORE you do this, however, go to the ACP on your forumotion board and set the flood control value to its minimum number (10 seconds as of this writing). Now, adjust the waittime= line in the settings.py file to whatever value you have set for Flood Control. You can now run the pm_passwords.py script.

And that's it! You will now have the forum/topic/post/member data from your forumotion board. The instructions in the ZIP files from phpbb.com describe how to import the scraped data into your new phpBB3 board.

If you have any questions, please ask!

Please see post #23 in this topic for information about the download.
φ
Likes Given: 26
Move your forumotion board to your own site? Here's how...
Posted June 30th 2012, 3:39pm
φ
Likes Given: 13
Posted June 30th 2012, 5:21pm
Each member will receive a private message on the FM board which contains their new password. They can then log in on the new board using that password (usernames remain the same).
φ
Posted July 2nd 2012, 7:34am
Dion said:
...For more than four years, there has been a set of Python scripts on the phpBB Community support forum that allowed you to "scrape" your forumotion board of all topic/forum/post/member information, and import that information to a phpBB3 database on your own host. ... In the past 18 months, eToxic has apparently grown tired of so many people leaving their service, and they have spent all their development time trying to change the forumotion service so these scripts would no longer work. (This is why there have been no new features in the past 18 months.) Unfortunately, their latest "updates" were quite effective in breaking the main script....
ForuMotion: The only place where customer satisfaction is ignored to help work on keeping customers, even though if you provide customer satisfaction, you will not have to work to keep customers because the customers will not leave.
φ
Likes Given: 27
Posted July 2nd 2012, 3:50pm
I am aware of four "enhancements for your satisfaction" (marketing gobbletygook from Mr. Campbell, no doubt) that were added by eToxic as a direct result of features and code demonstrations on my old forumotion IPBDion board. The funniest one is the "Unauthorize unofficial forms to post messages and private messages on the forum" option in the Security section of the ACP. They were so fixated on stopping a loophole I demonstrated that they broke hundreds of boards that had custom help forms -- including boards operated by several of the staff on the French support forum! That's why it is now an option as opposed to being hard-coded...

One wonders what types of new "enhancements for your satisfaction" will be added as a result of this topic. :P
φ
Posted July 2nd 2012, 6:22pm
Dion said:
One wonders what types of new "enhancements for your satisfaction" will be added as a result of this topic. :P
Isn't ForuMotion so funny?

I have an opinion on ForuMotion that if voiced, will likely cause my forum to be deleted. Then again, the fact that if they delete my forum, I am going to start causing problems for them might hold them back. (Who knows, that little statement may have saved the forum.)
φ
Likes Given: 27
Posted July 21st 2012, 9:46am
Dion, after i download the members, how i can add them in database?
φ
Likes Given: 3
Posted July 21st 2012, 10:36am
This is described in the instructions.txt file which is included in the ZIP file on the phpBB site. Basically, you would use phpMyAdmin (or equivalent program) to import the SQL files created by the Python script into your database.
φ
Posted July 25th 2012, 2:29am
For those interested in moving their forumotion gallery to your own site, please contact me by clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom right of any page. I am able to scrape a forumotion gallery and add it to Coppermine Gallery. In addition, if you have scraped your forumotion board using the procedure described in this topic, and configured Coppermine to use phpBB3 for authentication, the public and user album structure of your forumotion gallery will also be scraped and added to your Coppermine gallery.

Please note that this is not a free service. The price I charge will depend on the size of your forumotion gallery.
φ
Posted August 1st 2012, 2:37am
Dion said:

1. What does it means dion? can you tell more specific?

2. Can I use python 2.7.3 instead of 2.5 or 2.6 that instructions recommended?

Also Dion I appreciate your hardwork but can you make tutorial in video mode? or maybe can I get your contact number instead on pm forum, I need your contact such as IM id if you have. So I can ask you anytime if I've problems and some offer. You really are lifesaver!

Thanks
φ
Posted August 1st 2012, 11:15am
I don't know how to be any more specific than that paragraph. Use the ZIP file from phpbb.com is you have under 100 members. If it works, great. If it doesn't, run the script from the ZIP file in the first post of this topic. There should be no issues with using Python 2.7.

There will be no videos or tutorials. As for forms of personal contact, that is available, but you will pay my regular consulting fee for the privilege.
φ
Posted August 5th 2012, 11:58am
tried the new script...members transfer seemed to have worked like a charme..however the topic transfer said that each topic was empty... ;) any idea?
φ
Posted August 5th 2012, 7:24pm
That sounds like some sort of cookie issue, and one that I've never before seen. You should report this in the forumotion convertor topic on the phpBB Community Forum.
φ
Posted August 28th 2012, 6:16am
Hi All

great script

does anyone know if fmotion have changed things again?

I cannot for the life of me get the date in the format required in the user profiles

I can do dates with . as separator or / but no -

It appears to have been removed from the list

Any ideas?

thanks

Brent
φ
Posted August 28th 2012, 11:42am
Yes, it does appear as though the morons at eToxic have yet again tried to break the scraping script. You should report this in the scraping topic on the phpBB support board, and hopefully, the author of the script will make the necessary modifications.

If I get a little time, I'll make the changes and post them here. I just checked, and this is a fairly simple fix.
φ
Posted August 28th 2012, 12:29pm
I just did another check. Log in with the admin account that you plan to use to scrape your board. Now go to Profile, Preferences, and click on the date format dropdown at the bottom. Is the last option of the form YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm? If so, select that format and save your settings.

You should now be able to run the scraping script.
φ
Posted August 31st 2012, 5:15am
I keep getting an Internal Server Error 500 with this (and I've tried a few of the simple python scripts around in the tutorials, they work out fine.)

Perchance do you know where this particular script's process is spelled out in detail? I wish I had the time to fiddle with it and figure this out on my own, but for confidential reasons I'm in a hurry here.

(Are you still open to doing this for hire Dion? If you are could you please PM me with or post an estimate of the price based on the size?)

To clarify my issue, in case you might know what's going on, I uploaded the three files directly into the same directory as phpBB3, but it continues to give me an "Internal Server Error" no matter what I try, mostly 500 and 404
φ
Posted October 12th 2012, 2:33am
Is it possible to scrape from an invision FM board, and put everything back into an invision board on a paid host?
If so, whats the best invision type board, and do you have details of how i would be able to do this ?
φ
Posted October 12th 2012, 6:19am
Uploaded what files to your server the python files? That will be why you get a server error, you run the python files from your desktop, not a browser.

And yes, you'd have to change to phpbb3, scrape the board and install it to a phpbb3 forum then do a phpbb3 to invision conversion.
φ
Likes Given: 15
Posted October 12th 2012, 12:37pm
The only scraping script I've ever seen for forumotion boards creates SQL import files for phpBB3. That means you'll be creating a phpBB3 database whether you like it or not.

Since the forumotion "board types" are nothing more than phpBB2 templates/CSS, they are incompatible with a real IPB2.x board. In addition, IPB2.x was discontinued by its owners several years ago and is no longer available. However, you can re-create your forumotion board theme on a real phpBB3 board. Don't believe it? Take a look at my old forumotion board, which was an "Invision" board type.
φ