FMSUX!
Posted July 9th 2012, 11:00pm
I was told today that a couple more nice FM features have recently been disabled and/or broken. So now, in order to get even a reasonable board, you have to buy stuff from forumotion, become a "premium" member of a board, and/or purchase "premium" code.

Haven't you had enough of forumotion yet? It's time to move on!

Please, everyone, take a look at this site: http://www.justhost.com

If you use the magic code of 50OFF, you are able to get a two-year contract for hosting for US$2.48/month, and that price includes free domain name registration.

Two clients are currently using this host for their websites; one uses Joomla and the other has a phpBB3 board installed. The phpBB3 board was successfully scraped from forumotion just three weeks ago, and it has more than 1400 members and 60,000 posts. Both sites have good response times, unlimited bandwidth and disk space, full SSH access (almost unheard of at this price point!), and an SMTP server for email.

That $2.48/month price is less than it would cost to remove ads on a forumotion board. Heck, the annual cost of buying a domain name from forumotion is more than half the YEARLY price of this hosting plan!

I am not a user of JustHost because my needs require something different. However, knowing the situations of many of you, I wanted to make you aware of a great, inexpensive way to finally rid yourself of a host that doesn't care about you unless you're French.

If you have any questions about this, please ask. The phpbb.com site has instructions for how to download and install phpBB3. Instructions are already here for scraping your FM board and moving its contents elsewhere. And I am happy to answer questions about managing your own site.

I hope to hear your success stories in the near future!
φ
Likes Given: 26
FMSUX!
Posted July 11th 2012, 8:50am
Even if you cannot pay a little to pay for a web host, that still does not mean that you are stuck with ForuMotion. I had plans to stick with ForuMotion, until I found a different free web host (not a forum host, a web host) that looked good. I was on it for some time until I discovered that the people that run that host are even worse than the folks at ForuMotion. I moved off of them yesterday, and now use ServersFree, and they are wonderful! You do not have unlimited space, but you have so much space that it would take you forever to fill it up!
φ
Likes Given: 27
FMSUX!
Posted July 11th 2012, 12:51pm
I personally would stay away from free hosting if at all possible. You may get sufficient disk space and bandwidth, but what you do NOT get is guaranteed uptime. Once you move to a paid host, even one as inexpensive as JustHost, you can typically count on 99.5% guaranteed uptime -- meaning, your board is guaranteed to be working for all but 7 minutes every day.

If anyone is thinking about making the move but is unsure how to do the scraping, please feel free to ask for some guidance. The hardest part of the scraping process is installing Python 2.x on your system!
φ
FMSUX!
Posted July 11th 2012, 1:34pm
Dion, you're literally a life saver, thanks for all the support individually, and here. I'd be clueless if it wasnt for you to help me/all of us.

Thanks.
φ
Likes Given: 20
FMSUX!
Posted July 11th 2012, 2:57pm
Ryan said:
Dion, you're literally a life saver, thanks for all the support individually, and here. I'd be clueless if it wasnt for you to help me/all of us.

Thanks.
The two greatest people that I met on ForuMotion were Dion and LGforum.
φ
FMSUX!
Posted December 14th 2012, 4:00am
An official statement from forumotion:
The number of illegal forums detected on this domain name has lead to the ban of it by Google, which also checks every forums and has a quality charter clearly more strict than ours. That's why Forumotion has always been very insistent on the respect of the TOS.

I won't comment on the first sentence...too easy. Here's my response to the second (boldfaced by me):
φ
FMSUX!
Posted December 14th 2012, 10:30am
Agree'd
φ
FMSUX!
Posted December 14th 2012, 2:42pm
Luckily I thought this might occur so I backed up all of the original Forumotion coding from my website so I haven't been affected by these changes. ;)
φ
FMSUX!
Posted December 14th 2012, 2:45pm
I figured that something like this would occurred.
φ
Likes Given: 51
FMSUX!
Posted December 14th 2012, 2:52pm
Hey Long time no see slg! Thank you for all the help you have given me over the past year and a half at the Forumotion help forums. ;)
φ
FMSUX!
Posted December 14th 2012, 3:16pm
slg said:
I figured that something like this would occurred.

So did I. And the response from eToxic was predictable -- instead of fixing the problem (spending the time to go through their domains and delete rogue boards), they instead created a redirect to bypass the Google ban. They are basically announcing to the world "If you're a content thief, put your board on our sites! We'll protect you!".

φ
FMSUX!
Posted December 14th 2012, 4:24pm
Would that affect those of us who have a custom domain through FM?
φ
FMSUX!
Posted December 15th 2012, 7:53pm
All free forum hosts suck; after finding out I don't need to pay to get more mods for a forum I used to own (using freeforums.org instead of forumotions), I started using x10hosting. It has free hosting and is one of the best as you have UNLIMITED space. The support is good too. Apart from occasional problems, it is not like some web hosts (free) I've come across, of which most disappeared. I only did not use a paid web host only because I can't. My parents wouldn't have paid for something like that....
φ
Likes Given: 9
FMSUX!
Posted December 16th 2012, 4:16am
Rukiafan said:
Would that affect those of us who have a custom domain through FM?

You should be OK.

Jessica said:
I started using x10hosting

x10hosting is the best free hosting site I've seen. It still suffers from occasional service outages which might last a few hours (a common occurrence on all free hosting sites), but those outages aren't as severe as on other free hosting sites. And on x10hosting, it appears your data doesn't get lost -- something that happens all too frequently on many free hosting sites.

Maybe you could put a donate button on your site, and with any luck, you'll raise the US$60 you would need to get a two-year hosting plan from a place like JustHost.
φ
FMSUX!
Posted December 27th 2012, 8:37pm
I am looking to move my forum off of my current free web host because whenever you hit your website a certain amount of times, the forum times out, and essentially goes offline for a little while. Does this happen with x10Hosting? Also, does x10Hosting truly keep their promise about the unlimited hosting & bandwidth?
φ
FMSUX!
Posted December 28th 2012, 6:43pm
I use it for testing and storing odd stuff on it. Yes, it keeps to it's word.
φ
FMSUX!
Posted December 29th 2012, 7:02pm
They are advertisement free, correct?
φ
FMSUX!
Posted December 31st 2012, 10:47am
Yep, no ads.

For the unlimited hosting & bandwidth though, they slightly changed the way you get it. You don't get it right away anymore. You have to meet certain requirements -- which aren't hard to meet -- then you can "upgrade".
φ
FMSUX!
Posted January 1st 2013, 6:02pm
I created an x10Hosting account, and from what I can see, you do have a limit as to how much space you have -- 1024 MB to be precise.
φ
FMSUX!
Posted January 1st 2013, 7:53pm
David B said:
I created an x10Hosting account, and from what I can see, you do have a limit as to how much space you have -- 1024 MB to be precise.

You can upgrade to unlimited. Read this announcement: http://x10hosting.com/forums/news-annou ... hange.html

When you meet those requirements you can request your account be upgraded :)
φ