Introducing InstallDD™
Posted January 19th 2014, 10:20am
About two years ago I developed a one-click-install program for phpBB 3.0 modifications and styles (yes, styles!) that I provided to some clients. After giving it some thought, I decided that all modifications I provide should be in this form as opposed to "hacks". So here is InstallDD™, the program I distribute to my clients to install modifications and styles.

To install InstallDD™, download and un-ZIP the following file:

installdd.zip
10.93 KiB  |  Downloaded 343 times

Then place the installdd.php, installdd.html, and diondesigns.php files in your phpBB root directory (where config.php and common.php are located). Finally, making sure you are logged in as a founder of the board, point your browser to http://(your board domain)/installdd.php. InstallDD™ will install itself, delete the other two files, and present you with a simple menu that lets you upload ZIPped modifications and styles.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
If a modification requires the editing of a template file, that modification is only guaranteed to work with the Prosilver style. It will probably work with many/most Prosilver-based styles. It will NOT work with any subsilver2-based style. If you are using subsilver2 or a style based on subsilver2, you have been warned!

The first public InstallDD™ modification will be available immediately. Two additional InstallDD™ modifications will be available immediately to members. All three (default avatar, contact form, like system) are features on the Dion Designs Discussion board.

Using InstallDD™, you can now directly upload the ZIP files of styles you have obtained from the phpbb.com styles database and elsewhere. There is no longer any need to un-ZIP a style locally, then use FTP to upload every file/directory individually. Once you upload the style, you will be immediately taken to the phpBB ACP Styles page where you can install the style into phpBB.

Once you upload a modification, you will see two new buttons on the InstallDD™ main page. These buttons will allow you to install or uninstall modifications. When complete, you will see a brief confirmation message and perhaps some additional text from the modification.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
If an install fails, you should click the link to display the modification's DIY instructions. You can use those instructions as a guide to manually install the modification.

This method of providing modifications has many benefits, as you will see with the first set of modifications I will be making available.

InstallDD™ supports adding styles/themes that also require code modifications. This was the reason why I wrote InstallDD™. I needed a simple method for clients to install a style/theme such as phyreφhi that also required modifications to core PHP files. Stupid question: Am I the only person who doesn't understand why phpBB uses the term "style" when "theme" is the correct term, and vice versa?

I hope you like what you see, and please feel free to make comments/suggestions about InstallDD™. My plan is to convert all "hacks" in this forum to InstallDD™-compatible ZIP files and move them to their own forum.
φ
Likes Given: 26