conflict with Yoast SEO XML sitemaps feature
Posted December 11th 2017, 11:51am
Hi. When your plugin is active, Yoast SEO is unable to display sitemaps. Supposedly they are working fine.... but they just can't be viewed (a blank page appears when I click view sitemap). Their devs identified the issue to be with your plugin. When it's disabled, everything works fine. Below is the feedback from their devs. Can you update UsageDD to resolve this conflict? Thanks for a terrific tool, cheers! MD

---------------
Hi Marcel,

Thank you for getting back to us.

We have inspected the source code of your sitemap and noticed that extra code is being added at the end of the sitemap (outside the red section in the attached image). That code appears to be generated by a plugin which works only for logged in users, it is very likely to be generated by the UsageDD plugin.

You can either disable it or contact the developers of that plugin to add sitemap pages to exclusions list (unless this is already possible). However, please keep in mind that this issue appears only for logged in users, search engines should have no problems to crawl your sitemap, so you should not worry about it hurting the SEO efforts of your website.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or need any help.
φ
Posted December 11th 2017, 11:02pm
First, this issue will only occur when an admin with "update core" capabilities tries to view a sitemap. Typically there is only one such user in a WordPress installation. If you want to view your sitemaps, you can log out and view them as a guest, or you can log in as a regular user.

Due to Yoast generating non-HTML output through WordPress without letting other plugins know about it, there is currently nothing I can do on my end to resolve this issue. The WordPress REST API calls a filter to let plugins know it is active. UsageDD hooks that filter and acts accordingly. That's the type of thing I need from Yoast when it generates XML/XSL output.

If Yoast added an action hook (perhaps do_action('wpseo_output_sitemap')) to the redirect() function in their inc/sitemaps/class-sitemaps.php file, other plugins (such as UsageDD) could hook the action and act accordingly. If they have already defined an action/filter that is only called when they are generating XML/XSL output, that would work as well. But it doesn't appear such an action/filter exists, which is why I suggested the above action be added.
φ
Likes Given: 26
Posted December 12th 2017, 7:27pm
I have updated UsageDD to 1.4.1. UsageDD is now using the WordPress shutdown action hook to generate its display, which gives other plugins a way to suppress it.

If the Yoast SEO authors are willing to fix a bug, this conflict with "stupid plugins" will be resolved. The bug is in their inc/sitemaps/class-sitemaps.php file where they remove the wp_footer action hooks. However, they do not remove the shutdown action hooks, even though the shutdownaction is called after the wp_footer action. Not removing the shutdown action hooks is a bug.
φ
Posted February 4th 2018, 12:50pm
Instead of waiting for other plugins to fix their bugs, UsageDD has been made compatible with rogue plugins starting with version 1.4.3.

Those currently using UsageDD should immediately update to the latest version. All versions of UsageDD prior to 1.4.3 are now considered obsolete and are no longer supported.
φ